Jejuri Bhandara Festival and Kolhapur Kushti Aakhara
An ASP Phototour
Mentor: Arun Saha
Date : 20 to 22 Feb 2023
“Sonyachi Jejuri”- as the holy town Jejuri is called aptly by the native Maharashtrians, which means “The Golden Jejuri”, comes alive when one looks from the rooftop of the Khandoba temple at the porch, at the stairs, at the roads, at the entire Jejuri city and at the people around it when they gather here in myriads during the sacred day of Somawati Amavashya(new moon day that falls on Monday) to pay their reverence to their family god Khandoba. A veil of golden yellow turmeric powder engulfs the entire town in combination with the holy chants “yelkot yelkot jai malhar” “sadanandache yelkot” offered by his dedicated followers. The complete area starts to reverberate with faith and devotion. The entire atmosphere gets soaked into the mood of a devine celebration with the purity of golden turmeric. Thus Bhandara of Jejuri has become a universal pilgrimage and an utmost colourful offbeat rural festival. On the very auspicious day, a Palkhi(palanquin) is taken out from the main temple situated at the hilltop carrying the idols of Lord Khandoba and his wife Malsha for a holy bath in the river Karha. The procession climbs down the 200 steep stairs that connect the temple to the ground level along with the protective stone walls. It continues amidst the devotees’ religious chant mixed with their Bhandara(turmeric powder mixed with dry coconut) offering. A golden yellow cloud prevails everywhere the procession goes through. With the holy dip, the ritual of the Khandoba marriage is recreated. At the end of the day, the idols are taken back to the shrine. Thus, Jejuri influences the heart of millions with its Midas touch.
TRIP ITINERARY :
Day 1 : 20 Feb : Our tour will start from the Pune Airport pickup point(in front of Aero Mall). We will start from Pune early in the morning so that we can reach Jejuri temple before the rush hour starts. After reaching the foothill, we need to climb around 200 stairs, but on the way, we will find plenty of photo opportunities. Reaching atop, on the temple premises, we have to wait till the roof gate gets opened. Till then we can shoot the premises activities. And then comes the time for the main event. Getting on the rooftop, place yourself at a vantage point as per guidance. Movement of the Palkhi will start with the throwing of turmeric powder in the air. After covering the entire program, we are expecting to return to Pune by noon. Lunch will be done according to time and convenience. Guests are requested to carry some snacks as we will not have time to search for breakfast. Getting back to Pune, we will head towards Kolhapur and stay there overnight.
Day 2 : 21 Feb : In the morning, we will visit the Gangavesh Akhara to shoot wrestling with the light streaks and young wrestlers. Later part of the day we will explore other akharas of Kolhapur. Interested people can pay a visit to the Mahalaxmi temple & do some shopping.
Day 3 : 22 Feb : We will repeat the Kushti shoot in Gangavesh Talim asmay get some more and better picture. Then we will pack up and head towards Pune. You will get a drop to Railway Station/ Airport/ pre booked hotel by 3pm. Our colourful and action packed tour of Jejuri and Kolhapur ends here.
#Schedule of the programmes may shift if festival date and schedule gets changed.
COST OF THE TOUR : Rs. 17,000/- for Indians and 500$ for Non-Indian/NRI participants
Only 10 Seats
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY
If you cancel your registration, then you will be refunded according to the following schedule, based on the full fee of the Workshop:
45 days or more: 75% refund
30 days or more: 50% refund
15 Days or more: 25% refund
Less than 15 days : Non –refundable
Fee Includes :
- Shared double bed room (same gender participants/couples/friends/partners) in a standard clean hotel at Kolhapur, with western toilet and AC. For single room accommodation, extra charges are applicable.
- It will cover your main meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), starting from 20th Feb lunch to 22nd Feb lunch.
- Mineral water will be provided only during meals.
- Tea/Coffee will be provided with breakfast and in the evening.
- All local transports related to our tour from Kolhapur
- Mentor’s fee for photography tour, on-field photography assistances and image reviews and worshop.
Fee Doesn’t Includes :
- Train/flight tickets to and from Pune city, India.
- Any additional food items or beverage during meals.
- Any extra mineral water bottle / beverage will be your personal expense.
- Any personal habit or expenses.
- Anything that is not in “Include” list.
- What do I get from this photo-tour?
- A thoroughly guided photographic experience by an expert in the field who knows the places and events very well.
- Slide show presentation of photographs and information of locations and events before each day’s shoot.
- Guiding all participants about lens requirements, creative composition and camera settings on the field during photo shoot.
- Review of participants’ photographs from the tour.
- Assisting in possible editing guidance.
- Guiding participants in finding photographic locations and vantage points for places and events.
- Helping in finding the local delicacies.
- Guiding the entire team about the event, gear requirements, the likely challenge to be faced through a webinar with a PPT presentation well before the tour starts.
- Am I eligible for this tour?
- Anyone above 18 years (unless accompanied by a parent or guardian) is welcome to join this photo tour.
- I am new to photography. Will I join this trip?
Yes of course. This tour is for all photography enthusiastic people. The more you travel and explore, the more your photographic eye will open. Moreover, our team leaders will ensure to give special attention to the beginners.
- What equipments are required for this Trip?
Well, even the point-and-shoot camera will work fine. If you have a DSLR camera, any zoom lens and a wide-angle lens will work, but preferably a full-frame camera with a faster wide-angle lens will serve best. A laptop with post-processing software, an extension charging board, an external hard drive, a pen drive and extra memory cards will be helpful.
- What is the difference between ASP Photo Tour and other tours?
We are not offering a package tour for general tourists; it is specifically meant for photography enthusiastic people and designed by experienced professional photographers. You will discover the place and learn a lot about this ancient city, its local people and their culture which is an important part of our travel photography. We will try to observe the local people, their daily activities and cultural beliefs and will try to capture those moments using the right compositions and techniques. Our Team Leaders will help our guests to learn camera settings, framing and as well as post-processing. If that’s what is your requirements then surely join us for this exciting photo tour with ASP.
#Under any unavoidable circumstances, if we have to cancel our photo tour, your entire booking money will be refunded.
- We don’t have any control over weather conditions, pandemics, accidents or any medical emergencies. Under any unforeseen conditions, we may have to change our schedule. We expect your cooperation under such circumstances.
- In the COVID19 PANDEMIC situation, we expect all our guests to follow the ASP and Govt laid down rules of social distancing and precautions throughout the tour.
Click here https://www.arunsaha.com/vittal-birdev-annual-yatra-at-pattankodoli/ to see the entire Jejuri portfolio and click here https://www.arunsaha.com/dt_gallery/kolhapur-kushti/ to see the KOLHAPUR KUSHTI portfolio.
For more Details :
Contact(call or WhatsApp) #8605013985
Or mail us at [email protected]
Our Liabilities & Limitations:
- All itineraries are sample itineraries, intended to give you a general idea of the likely trip schedule. Numerous factors such as weather, road conditions, local political situations, the physical ability of the participants etc. may dictate itinerary changes either before the tour or while on the trail. We reserve the right to change any schedule in the interest of the trip participants’ safety, comfort & general well being.
- Organisers shall not be responsible for any delays & alterations in the programme or expenses incurred – directly or indirectly – due to natural hazards, flight delays or cancellations, train delay, accidents, breakdown of transport, weather, sickness, road blockages, political closures or any troublesome incidents.
- Organisers shall not be responsible for any loss, injury or damage to person, property, or otherwise in connection with any accommodation, transportation or other services, resulting – directly or indirectly – from any act of GOD, dangers, fire, accident, breakdown in machinery or equipment, breakdown of transport, wars, civil disturbances, strikes, riots, thefts, pilferages, epidemics, medical or custom department regulations, defaults, or any other causes beyond our control.
- Organisers do not have any insurance policy covering the expenses for accidents, sickness, loss due to theft, or any other reasons. All baggage, camera, other gears & personal property/s at all times are at the client’s risk.